Title: Principal Systems Engineer - Payloads
L-3 Integrated Optical Systems (IOS) is a leader in the design, manufacture, and test of space, airborne and ground-based electro-optical subsystems and sensor systems for NASA, DoD, and commercial markets. IOS produces space/airborne telescopes, sensor systems, weapon sights, visible, infrared and ultraviolet and hyperspectral imagers, and line of sight pointing control systems for applications including: remote sensing, missile defense, reconnaissance, weapon fire control and space situational awareness. Major programs include James Webb Space Telescope, Space Surveillance Telescope, SBIRS High, GOES-R ABI, XM-25 and Joint Strike Fighter.
L-3 SSG, headquarters for IOS, is located in Wilmington, Massachusetts, 10 miles north of Boston, providing easy access to the city, and the north shore. IOS has approximately 450 engineers, technicians, and support staff focused on the development and manufacture of advanced EO systems. The division offers technologically-differentiated EO and photon-control solutions with a migration towards moderate-level production. IOS offers a flexible work environment, challenging and varied aerospace projects, competitive compensation and a collegial atmosphere.
Principal Systems Engineer - Payloads
L-3 Integrated Optical Systems has an opportunity for a Principal Level Systems Engineer to join our talented engineering organization. Principal members of our development staff are technical leaders across multi-disciplined teams, possessing expert understanding of aerospace technology and payload architectures for spacecraft sub-systems and instruments. The scope of the position requires a proven track-record with a range of responsibilities from spacecraft requirements management & allocation, system concept development, design & analysis to procurement and integration & test of payload level sensor systems for the aerospace and commercial community. Principal systems engineers are the primary technical interface to our customers and the technical leads on our programs responsible for directing engineering analysis and evaluation efforts across all technical disciplines for complex electro-optical systems. Additional responsibilities include developing alternative designs to satisfy mission level requirements, documenting design approaches, establishing design verification & validation, and developing plans to manufacture and test payload sensor systems. Principal engineers are expected to support new business opportunities, lead program tiger teams, participate in industry-wide events, and actively develop junior level staff.
- BS in an Engineering discipline, MS preferred.
- 15 plus years of experience in developing electro-optical payloads for aerospace & military defense applications.
- Expert knowledge in system level hardware design & development, requirements definition, analysis, and risk mitigation for space-based environments.
- Experience with high reliability space flight programs and radiation-hardened environments are required.
- Experience generating cost & schedule plans and estimates are required.
- Experience as a lead engineer, project engineer, or IPT lead is required.
- Experience with DOORS is highly desirable.
- Experience developing systems and general engineering processes and procedures are a plus.
- Experience supporting new business pursuits and proposals efforts is highly desirable.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills for interfacing with senior management and customers as well as mentoring of other engineers.
- Active TS/SSBI/SCI clearance is required.
L-3 Integrated Optical Systems is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
U.S. Citizen status required.null
Organization: Integrated Optical Systems